If you’re like me, you love Summer! And, although I will go kicking and screaming all the way into fall, truth is…this is one of my most favorite times of the year!
For some, it might be too early to talk about the changing of the season but like it or not, Autumn means getting the old Homestead ready for whatever Mother Nature has in store for us.
Aside from the usual chores of raking the leaves and all that, this is a great time of the year to get some much needed items checked off the maintenance list before it gets too cold and rainy.
Here are 5 Early Autumn Home Maintenance Tips to get your home ready for…not Summer!
- Get the furnace and the gas fireplace tuned up – This is the perfect time to get your furnace serviced and replace the old filters. Also, if you use a gas (or wood burning) fireplace for your heat, make sure the chimney and all the serviceable parts are working. It becomes very expensive getting your heating source worked on when it gets cold.
- Clean out those gutters and – The most dreaded chore for most of us…getting all that muck and ick out of the gutters. Although we had the hottest and driest Summer on record, the last few weeks have shown us that Mother Nature still likes to remind us we are a wet and windy climate. Don’t get caught with a clogged downspout or clumps of gunk and leaves when the next rainstorm hits.
- Prep your outdoor living area – We all enjoy our patio and deck but we also need to get things ready so when those area become only a memory of our summer BBQ’s and gatherings, we make the effort to put the tables, chairs and our old friend, the BBQ away so they don’t have to deal with the harshness of the elements.
- Trim back tree branches – For those who have trees near their home, take a good look at their condition. The long hot summer may have been more for them than they could take. With our recent wind storm…and certainly more to follow…making sure you’re not a casualty of a falling limb or worse is an absolute must!
- Secure any other outdoor items – Don’t be that person chasing down a garbage can lid or your parasol down the street. We tend to forget about those things until it becomes a race to get them out of the neighbors yard. Look around your yard to see what was set up for Summer fun that can be easily picked up by the wind or ruined by the rain and bring it in for safe storage.
I’m sure you have more that needs to be done before old man Winter takes his rightful place in our little corner of the world. I hope you had a wonderful Summer and look forward to a great Autumn coming soon to a neighborhood near you.
I am passionate about Real Estate and eager to answer all of your real estate questions! Text or Call me at 360-880-2356 or email me directly to ask about Buying, Selling or Investing in today's Real Estate Market - serving Lewis County & Thurston County, WA.
Certified Residential Specialist | Real
Mountain Valley Real Estate